Welcome to the Batribike Electric Bicycles Blog. We are also on Facebook and Twitter



Monday, 24 July 2017

Can Electric Bicycles really be Healthy?

The title says it all really! The answer is yes! The whole idea that electric bikes are cheating is a misconception. However, many people look at electric bikes and immediately say “That’s cheating” or “Don’t be lazy”. People are also saying “I shall keep pedalling my old bike just as long as I can” or “I’m not old enough for one of those yet”. This is mostly because the way that electric bikes work is not widely understood.

Modern electric bicycles or battery bikes are designed to assist the rider. The rider pedals and the motor assists. Most electric bikes have the ability to select the amount of assistance given by the bike. Once you understood that riding an electric bike doesn’t mean that that you have given up having any kind of input at all, the benefits are much clearer.


Riding an electric bike on pedal assist mode is classed as ‘moderate’ exercise. NHS guidelines state that adults should do at least 150 minutes (2 hours 30 minutes) of moderate exercise a week. So a person who uses their electric bike to ride to work every day could be achieving the recommended weekly exercise. Whereas someone who drives to work every day but then does a half an hour brisk walk on both days of the weekend would not.

So are electric bike riders ‘cheating’ or ‘lazy’? The answer is a resounding ‘No!’
Typically electric bike riders are more likely to go out on their bikes. Many riders who purchase a normal pedal cycle with good intentions often find that it ends up just sitting in the shed. The benefits are clear for those with leg or joint weakness. Taking the strain out of riding but allowing the joints to mobilise means that many more people can get out into the fresh air and feel good about taking exercise.

Furthermore, those people who say “I shall keep pedaling my old bike just as long as I can” should be applauded, but they should still consider how far they are riding. Would they go further or more often with electric assistance?

So, in answer to the question “Can Electric Bicycles really be Healthy?” Yes they can!

5 comments:

  1. I purchased a diamond pro electric bike 18 months ago because I have a problem knee and was finding it difficult to ride my normal bike especially on hilly stretches of road.I now bike to work and find by adjusting the level of assistance I can easily climb even the steepest gradients and have already clocked over 2000 miles on my bike.The initial outlay is more than a normal road bike but I am using my bike in preference to the car considerabley more and have probably recouped my initial outlay plus feeling a lot more healthy and richer.I might add that I turned 70 this year so if I can reap the benefits I'm sure others can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are glad to hear you are enjoying your Batribike

      Delete
  2. I purchased an e-bike in 2016 I used it to cycle to work 10 mile's there and back, managed to used for about 1 month then my left ankle exploded 15 broken bones, I was gutted I'd been in a leg cast for 11 months and 2 weeks, and the last 2 weeks I've been out everyday I've clocked up 100 mile's, Been feeling great for it.
    It's a Scott E-sub

    ReplyDelete
  3. Electric bicycles are a good option for the healthy lifestyle as it is easy to ride in it and it is a very best option for those people who are finding difficulties to ride in a normal Electric Bicycle Kit as it is very comfortable to drive in it as it is very comfortable to ride in the hilly area.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete